I wasn’t sure how the writers would top episode 8, ‘Hardhome’ but I think they did with this one so let’s get to it:
1. I knew Shireen was going to die from the minute Stannis started actually showing more affection toward her. After Ramsay’s night raid on their camp, I think Stannis is pushed to desperation with not enough food to go forward or back. In his mind he only has one choice.
2. I wonder how poor Ser Davos is going to react to his de facto little girl being burned alive by her own father?
3. Plus, I think the fact that Selyse wanted to stop the burning once it happened really shows that she’s a complicated character. She thinks she hates Shireen but I think she fears her because of the greyscale and sees her as a failure. I mean, out of all the children she had, only Shireen, the ‘deformed’ one survived to term?
4. For a second there I thought Ser Alliser wasn’t going to let Jon Snow and the wildlings through the gate. But since he did I think he’s angling to take over Jon’s job, forcibly if necessary. Showing the Night’s Watch their Lord Commander’s ‘greatest sin’ is just one way to really turn sentiment against him.
5. I knew Arya was going to see Ser Meryn in Braavos from the time Cersei sent him to escort Lord Tyrell. And after that disturbing brothel scene I think Ser Meryn’s days are numbered just the same as Arya’s time at the House of Black and White is numbered.
6. I’m glad Bronn and Jaime are making it out of Dorne with Myrcella and Trystane. But what is Ellaria playing at? I doubt she’s given up her dream of getting revenge for Oberyn’s death, no matter what she swears to Doran.
7. Wow, the look on Daenerys’ face when Ser Jorah appeared in the pit again was just perfect. As was her look when she thought he tried to kill Hizdahr but really just killed a Harpy.
8. On that note, I was kind of surprised they killed of Hizdahr even before their marriage. What was the purpose of that particular change from the books?
9. Also, the choreography in the fighting pit was just beautiful. Someone must have been drunk or high during that really awful Sand Snake fight scene because this was classic Game of Thrones.
10. Yay, Dany finally got to ride Drogon. But I wonder where Drogon will take her? Will she end up where she does in the books or will the show’s writers change that slightly?
So what did you guys think of this super-intense episode? I’m very, very excited for the finale this year!